Hillary Clinton outlines plan to take on ISIS and prevent home-grown terror attacks

Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton speaking about her counterterrorism strategy during a campaign stop in Minneapolis on Dec 15.
Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton speaking about her counterterrorism strategy during a campaign stop in Minneapolis on Dec 15. PHOTO: REUTERS

MINNEAPOLIS (REUTERS) - US Democratic presidential front runner Hillary Clinton on Tuesday (Dec 15) outlined a 5-point plan for stopping homegrown terrorist attacks like the San Bernardino, California, massacre.

Mrs Clinton said the United States should expect more terrorist attacks and must enlist the help of Silicon Valley entrepreneurs to help identify potentially radicalised individuals on social media platforms.

She said Silicon Valley entrepreneurs are a “powerful force” the country can use to defeat the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS) and that the tech sector and the government have to “stop seeing each other as enemies” and work together.

The married couple who shot 14 people to death in the San Bernardino rampage earlier this month have been described by the authorities as self-radicalised. The Federal Bureau of Investigation is treating the attack by US-born Syed Rizwan Farook, 28, and his Pakistani-born wife Tashfeen Malik, 29, as an act of terror.

Malik is thought to have made comments related to being radicalised on social media platforms before entering the United States.

Mrs Clinton also called for a broader target for air strikes in Syria; more in-depth visa application reviews for all individuals who have spent time in areas where the ISIS is active; and again called for tighter gun-control laws, including reinstating a ban on the sale of assault weapons.

She also took a swipe at her Republican rivals’ proposals for defeating ISIS, saying “bluster and bigotry are not credentials for becoming commander in chief.”