Toddler death prompts Ikea to issue warning on wall lamp

STOCKHOLM (AFP) - Swedish furniture retailer Ikea issued a safety warning on Friday about one of its lamps, involved in the death of a toddler who was strangled with its cord.

"Ikea has received a report of an incident where a 16-month-old child in a crib died after becoming entangled in the cord of a Smila wall lamp," the company said in a statement for US consumers.

On its Swiss website, Ikea specified that the incident, which according to media reports dates back to October last year, took place in Britain.

The company also mentions another European case in which "a 15-month-old child was involved in a near-strangulation incident when it became entangled in a lamp's cord".

The US Consumer Product Safety Commission said that "consumers should stop using this product unless otherwise instructed".

"It is illegal to resell or attempt to resell a recalled consumer product," it added.

The company recommended the consumers check immediately that the lamp and cord are out of reach of children and securely fastened to the wall, and offers a free repair kit which contains safety instructions and self-adhesive fasteners.