SANTIAGO , Chile (AFP) - The Chilean mine that was the scene of a spectacular rescue of 33 trapped miners three years ago is being sold, a newspaper said on Sunday.
The sale of the San Jose mine in northern Atacama was agreed by the board of creditors of the San Esteban Mining Company, which declared bankruptcy immediately after the mine disaster.
"After various analyses, it was confirmed that San Jose can be exploited again, provided new shafts are put in from other places," the newspaper El Mercurio said in reporting the sale.
A collapse inside the gold and copper mine on Aug 5, 2010 trapped 33 miners, who underwent a 69-day ordeal deep undergound before they could be rescued.
A criminal investigation into the collapse was closed earlier this week with no charges filed.
The miners continue to pursue a civil suit against the state for negligence, seeking damages of US$500,000 (S$635,600) each.