18 killed after car bombers strike in Damascus

7 killed as three car bombs target Damascus.
The scene of a suicide car bomb attack in Damascus’ Tahrir Square district yesterday. Two other cars intercepted by security forces were blown up on the city’s outskirts.
The scene of a suicide car bomb attack in Damascus’ Tahrir Square district yesterday. Two other cars intercepted by security forces were blown up on the city’s outskirts. PHOTO: AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE

DAMASCUS • A suicide bomber in a car pursued by security forces blew himself up in eastern Damascus yesterday, with a monitor reporting 18 killed in the deadliest attack to hit the Syrian capital in months.

Syrian state media and the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights monitoring group said security forces intercepted three car bombers on their way into the city early yesterday morning.

State television said two of the vehicles were blown up on the outskirts of the city.

A third managed to reach the eastern Tahrir Square district, where the driver was surrounded but able to detonate a bomb.

Get The Straits Times
newsletters in your inbox

The Observatory, a Britain-based monitor, said 18 people were killed, including at least seven members of pro-regime security forces and two civilians. It had not identified the remaining victims.

Syrian state news agency Sana quoted an Interior Ministry statement as saying that two of the vehicles had been "destroyed" at a roundabout on the road to the city's airport.

The driver of the third vehicle blew himself up while being pursued, it said, "killing a number of civilians, injuring others, and causing material damage to public and private properties" .

The security forces prevented the militants from reaching their targets, which would have led to more deaths, officials told state television, saying the bombers had aimed to hit busy areas on the first day back to work after the Eid al-Fitr holiday.

An Agence France-Presse correspondent in Tahrir Square saw extensive damage to nearby buildings. Two bombed-out cars were visible to one side of the square, which was strewn with debris.

A woman was crying in an apartment near the site of the attack. Her balcony had collapsed and the living room was a mess of broken glass and shattered masonry, with pictures and curtains strewn across the floor.

The woman said her daughter had been taken to hospital after being injured by flying glass.

Tahrir Square resident Mohammad Tinawi said he heard "gunfire at around 6am (11am Singapore time), then an explosion which smashed the glass of houses in the neighbourhood".

He said he saw Red Crescent volunteers treating two injured soldiers.

There was no immediate claim of responsibility.

Damascus has been spared the large-scale battles that have devastated other major Syrian cities during the country's six-year civil war.

But dozens of people have been killed in bombings, particularly on the outskirts of the capital.

In mid-March, bomb attacks on a courthouse and restaurant in central Damascus killed 32 people. That rare assault in the heart of the city, which remains under government control, was claimed by the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria.

That came days after two explosions that left 74 dead in the capital's Old City and were claimed by the Tahrir al-Sham coalition led by the Islamist Fateh al-Sham Front.

Battlefronts around Damascus have calmed since a May deal that saw opposition fighters withdraw from several neighbourhoods, along with a separate agreement on "de-escalation" zones - including one in a rebel stronghold just outside the capital.

Syria's conflict broke out with anti-government protests in 2011, but has since evolved into a multi-front war that has killed more than 320,000 people.

AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE, REUTERS

A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Straits Times on July 03, 2017, with the headline '18 killed after car bombers strike in Damascus'. Print Edition | Subscribe