Malaysian team to inspect suspected MH370 debris in Mozambique on Monday

A photo of the piece of aircraft wreckage taken at Mozambique's Civil Aviation Institute in Maputo on March 3, 2016.
A photo of the piece of aircraft wreckage taken at Mozambique's Civil Aviation Institute in Maputo on March 3, 2016. PHOTO: AFP
A photo of the piece of aircraft wreckage taken at Mozambique's Civil Aviation Institute in Maputo on March 3, 2016.
A photo of the piece of aircraft wreckage taken at Mozambique's Civil Aviation Institute in Maputo on March 3, 2016. PHOTO: AFP

KUALA LUMPUR (THE STAR/ASIA NEWS NETWORK) - The Malaysian team investigating MH370 will meet civil aviation officials in Mozambique on Monday (March 7) to inspect a piece of metal found there.

Transport Minister Datuk Seri Liow Tiong Lai said the Malaysian team had already arrived and would join their Australian counterpart to identify the newly found debris.

"Since today is a Sunday, our team will be meeting the Mozambique director-general of Civil Aviation tomorrow.

"We have no problems if the part is to be taken to Australia for further inspection.

"The important thing is that if the debris is indeed from the missing MH370 aircraft, it must be under our custody," he told reporters after opening the Wisma MCA Kepong on Sunday (March 6).

Liow said the location of the debris still falls under the drifting pattern related to the search area for the missing plane in the South Indian Ocean.

He said there were no plans to expand the search area beyond the 120,000 sq kilometres, which is expected to be completed in June.

"A tripartite meeting between Malaysia, Australia and China will be held by then if the plane is still not found.

 
 
 

"Experts will give advice on the future search and the next course of action," he said.

Liow added that an interim statement would be issued by the investigation team on March 8 - the date of the second anniversary of the tragedy - according to the rules of the International Civil Aviation Organization.

He reiterated that no official memorial service would be held but a special session in Parliament will take place as a mark of respect and remembrance for the victims.

"All next of kin should also submit a file claim before the March 8 deadline," he said.

Flight MH370, a Boeing 777-200ER, disappeared on March 8, 2014, en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing with a total of 239 passengers on board.

It has yet to be found although massive search operations were conducted in the southern Indian Ocean, the place it is believed to have ended after diverting from its original route.

On July 29 last year, a flaperon found on La Reunion Island in the Indian Ocean, was sent to France for analysis.

It was confirmed on Aug 6 that the flaperon belonged to MH370.