Guangdong reports two new Zika cases

GUANGZHOU • Southern China's Guangdong Province reported two new Zika cases yesterday, bringing the total number of imported infections on the Chinese mainland to 12.

A 47-year-old father and his six-year-old daughter tested positive for the Zika virus in Enping city, the provincial health and family planning commission said in a statement.

The two returned from Venezuela on March 3 and developed symptoms of fever and skin rash two days later. The two are being treated and are in stable condition.

The commission said more cases are expected in the coming month as a large number of Chinese will return home from infected countries for the Qing Ming festival.

The World Health Organisation (WHO) declared a global emergency early last month amid a Zika outbreak in Central and South America. China has also been on alert as experts warn the warming weather may facilitate the spread of the mosquito-borne virus.

China's central health authority has called for public venues, including bus stations, markets and residential communities to be thoroughly cleaned to eradicate the breeding grounds for mosquitoes and other bugs.

XINHUA

A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Straits Times on March 08, 2016, with the headline 'Guangdong reports two new Zika cases'. Print Edition | Subscribe