Third bomber at Paris's Bataclan music hall identified: Police source

A man is at work during the cleaning process of the Bataclan concert hall.
A man is at work during the cleaning process of the Bataclan concert hall.PHOTO: AFP

PARIS (REUTERS) - A third man who attacked the Bataclan concert hall in Paris on Nov 13 has been identified as a 23-year-old from Strasbourg who went to Syria with a group of other young people at the end of 2013, a judicial source and other officials said on Wednesday (Dec 9).

The sources named the attacker, who died in the assault, as Foued Mohamed-Aggad. He was identified at the end of last week after his DNA was matched with those of his family members, a police source said.

Prime Minister Manuel Valls confirmed on BFMTV that the man had finally been identified.  

Other members of the group that went to Syria were arrested and imprisoned in May 2014 after their return, according to the judicial source and other sources close to the situation.

Mohammed-Aggad’s older brother Karim, who also visited Syria, is in jail in France, the judicial source said. 

The shootings at Bataclan music hall were part of a coordinated attack that killed 130 people in Paris and which was claimed by Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS), the militant group that now controls large parts of Syria and Iraq.

Ninety people died in the Bataclan attacks alone.

The other two attackers at the Bataclan, among seven who died in the assaults, have been named as Samy Amimour, 28, from Drancy, north-east of Paris, and Ismail Omar Mostefai, 29, who lived in Chartres, south-west of Paris.