LONDON • Britain's Prince Andrew has issued a rare statement to deny any rifts with his older brother and heir to the throne Prince Charles over giving more significant roles to his two daughters.
The denial on Friday follows reports of mounting tension between the two men, including the allegation that Prince Andrew had said any husbands of princesses Eugenie and Beatrice should be awarded the aristocratic titles of earls.
"There is no truth to the story that there could be a split between the Prince of Wales and I over my daughters' participation as members of the Royal Family," Prince Andrew said in a statement on Twitter.
"I cannot continue to stand by and have the media speculate on their futures based on my purported interventions, which are completely made up."
Prince Andrew, the Duke of York, said his daughters' royal engagements were "very much appreciated by my family" and that he wanted them to be "modern, working, young women, who happen to be members of the Royal Family".
The two princesses have been heavily criticised by British tabloids for enjoying regular holidays. Princess Eugenie took eight holidays, including one to Myanmar, over 15 months, ending with a New Year's party in New York last year, the Daily Mail reported earlier. Princess Beatrice had 18 holidays over the same period, including to Switzerland, Ibiza and Florida.
Prince Andrew's statement came a month after Prince Harry blasted "abuse and harassment" by the media against his girlfriend, US actress Meghan Markle. He also took issue with the "outright racism and sexism" on social media directed against her.