Paris attacks on Friday, Nov 13: What we know so far

French fire brigade members aiding an injured man near the Bataclan concert hall.
French fire brigade members aiding an injured man near the Bataclan concert hall. PHOTO: REUTERS

For the second time in less than a year, the French capital was rocked by terrorist attacks.

 

But the events on Friday (Nov 13) were on an even wider scale than the Jan 7, 2015, attacks which left a total of 12 dead and 11 injured, including staff from the French satirical weekly newspaper Charlie Hebdo.

The French authorities are still trying to piece together what happened in the capital on a night when a total of six - some reports say seven - places were targeted by gunmen and others carrying explosives.

Here are the facts so far:

1. At least 128 people dead


Rescue personnel working near covered bodies outside a Parisian restaurant. PHOTO: REUTERS

The death toll currently stands at more than 128. Separate reports, quoting a source close to the investigation, said more than 200 were injured, 80 of them seriously.

2. Nationwide emergency declared


French President Francois Hollande addressing the nation on television. PHOTO: AFP

Soon after the attacks, French President Francois Hollande declared two things:

One, a state of emergency - the first since 1958 - across the country.

Two, the closure of France's borders, in order to prevent the attackers from escaping.

In the light of the unprecedented terror attacks, Parisians have been warned by the authorities to remain indoors. The Paris Metro was also closed on Friday, and an additional 1,500 soldiers were deployed to the capital.

3. Shootings and explosions in at least six locations

From a concert hall to a pizzeria, assailants struck at least six different venues around 9.15pm Paris time, or 4.15am Singapore time.

* Bataclan nightclub and concert hall at 50 Boulevard Voltaire, 11th district

The bloodiest attack took place there, where a full house of 1,500 people were present for a concert by American band Eagles of Death Metal. Black-clad gunmen wielding AK-47s stormed into the hall, started firing at concert-goers and took as many as 100 hostages.

Reports said numerous people were killed. French armed police later stormed the place and reporters said four attackers inside the hall were killed - three by the suicide vests they were wearing and one when shot by the police.

* The country's national stadium State de France, just north of Paris


Spectators gathered on the Stade de France pitch after the France-Germany football match. PHOTO: AFP

Mr Hollande and the German Foreign Minister were watching the friendly football game between France and Germany when a suicide attack and a bombing occurred just outside. At least five people were killed and others seriously hurt.

* A  restaurant in Rue de Charonne

Eighteen people were reportedly killed by gunmen. A witness said the restaurant was the main target.

* A Cambodian eatery, the Petit Cambodge,  and Le Carillon in Rue Alibert


Forensic experts collecting evidence outside the Petit Camodge. PHOTO: EPA

It was fired upon as customers and passers-by scrambled to take cover. A young girl was said to have died.

* Casa Nostra pizzeria

Just a few hundred metres from the Bataclan concert venue, at least five people lost their lives when attackers turned their automatic rifles on them.

* Boulevard Voltaire, not far from the famous Louvre museum

Also near the Bataclan, an attacker triggered his suicide vest. It was unclear if there were any casualties.

4. Eight attackers have been killed


People hugging each other after they were evacuated by bus near the Bataclan concert hall. PHOTO: AFP

Seven of eight attackers died by their suicide vests, according to the French prosecutor's office. More "accomplices" are suspected to be still at large.

Four were killed in the Bataclan concert hall - three by suicide vests and one shot by police. Another three died near the Stade de France, and the last on a street in eastern Paris.

5. Attacks were carried out by ISIS

ISIS has claimed responsibility on Saturday for attacks in Paris, saying it sent fighters strapped with suicide bombing belts and carrying machine guns to various locations in the heart of the capital.

The attacks were designed to show France would remain a top target for the jihadist group as long as the country continued its current policies, the group said in a statement.

ISIS had earlier on Saturday distributed an undated video threatening to attack France if bombings of its fighters continued. The group’s foreign media arm, Al-Hayat Media Centre, made threats through several militants who called on French Muslims to carry out attacks. “As long as you keep bombing you will not live in peace. You will even fear traveling to the market,” said one of the militants, identified as Abu Maryam.

6. Support for France from across the globe


San Francisco City Hall lit up in the colours of the French flag in tribute to the victims. PHOTO: REUTERS

The attacks drew widespread condemnation from countries such as the US, Britain, Spainand India. US President Barack Obama said the US was prepared to provide whatever assistance France needed.

In a telephone call to Mr Hollande, China's President Xi Jinping said it was ready to join France and the international community in combating terrorism.

The hashtag #porteouverte, which means open door in English, trended on Twitter as Parisians opened their homes to strangers who needed shelter. Across the world, many gathered to pay tribute to the victims.

7. Singapore steps up security

In Singapore, Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong offered his condolences to the victims, calling the tragedy "an attack on our shared humanity".

 

Home Affairs and Law Minister K. Shanmugan said Singapore has since stepped up security measures, border checks and vigilance.

"We encourage everyone to remain vigilant and report any suspicious activities or persons to the authorities," Mr Shanmugam added. "Together, everyone plays a part to keep Singapore safe and secure."

In an update on Facebook, Foreign Affairs Minister Vivian Balakrishnan said the ministry has not been informed of any Singaporean casualties thus far.