London attacks: Singaporeans say they will avoid Westminster area

Members of the Ambulance and Fire Brigade emergency services stand alongside a stationary London bus as they work on Westminster Bridge.
Members of the Ambulance and Fire Brigade emergency services stand alongside a stationary London bus as they work on Westminster Bridge. PHOTO: AFP
Armed police following major incidents outside the Houses of Parliament in central London on March 22, 2017.
Armed police following major incidents outside the Houses of Parliament in central London on March 22, 2017.PHOTO: EPA
 Members of the emergency services tend to individuals injured during an incident on Westminster Bridge near the Houses of Parliament in central London, U.K. on Wednesday, March 22, 2017.
Members of the emergency services tend to individuals injured during an incident on Westminster Bridge near the Houses of Parliament in central London, U.K. on Wednesday, March 22, 2017.PHOTO: BLOOMBERG
Emergency services at the scene outside the Palace of Westminster, London, after policeman has been stabbed and his apparent attacker shot by officers in a major security incident at the Houses of Parliament.
Emergency services at the scene outside the Palace of Westminster, London, after policeman has been stabbed and his apparent attacker shot by officers in a major security incident at the Houses of Parliament. PHOTO: PA IMAGES VIA GETTY IMAGES

Singaporeans in London said they still feel safe, but will avoid the Westminster area following an attack there on Wednesday (March 22) that left at least two people dead.

Mr Jaron Soh, 24, a student at the London School of Economics and Political Science, said that he found out about the attacks around 3pm London time, almost immediately after the incident happened.

"Initially, I did not think much about it, and I wanted to dismiss it as a small isolated incident. The authorities were not calling it a terrorist attack then. It has since escalated. So I guess I'm a little shocked and in denial because despite how close it is - it feels quite far away."

He said that the attacks occurred just about a kilometre from his school.

He said that parts of Westminster are currently closed off and the authorities are directing traffic away from there.

"I'll be avoiding the (Westminster) area for a while, as well as other crowded areas such as Oxford Street which I usually do. But other than that London doesn't feel less safe for me."

Ms Liew Wan Jane, 24, a student at University College London, said she would avoid venturing out as a safety precaution.

"I am definitely concerned (about safety) but from news reports so far, it sounds like things are under control, because there isn't a capital-wide lockdown as far as I know."

Consultant Jonathan Neo, 25, said that security near his office in the Canary Wharf area has been beefed up. All cars leaving and entering the area are being checked.

His office has notified staff that this is being done "out of an abundance of caution", and has reassured them that there is "nothing to suggest an imminent security risk" in the area.

"People are just shocked that it happened. I think it's a relatively self-contained incident."

One woman died and a policeman was injured in the attacks which also resulted in at least 10 injuries.

The alleged assailant was shot by police just outside Britain's parliament building.

The House of Commons, which was in session at the time, was immediately suspended and lawmakers were asked to stay inside. Prime Minister Theresa May was safe after the incident, a spokesman for her office said.

 

Related Stories: