CAIRO • More terror attacks are being planned by the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS), the group which claimed responsibility for the multiple strikes in Paris last Friday which killed 129 people, officials have warned.
In a video posted yesterday, the group also threatened Washington and Europe with attacks similar to those that targeted Paris, saying "what's coming is worse".
The threat in the video, which appeared on a site used by ISIS to post its messages, was delivered by a man dressed in fatigues and a turban, and identified in subtitles as Al Ghareeb the Algerian. It was not immediately possible to verify the authenticity of the video, but French Prime Minister Manuel Valls warned of possible further attacks on French soil and in European countries. "Terrorism has hit and will hit again these days in the coming weeks. I do not say this to scare. Everyone must be fully aware of that," Mr Valls said yesterday.
"We know that more attacks are being prepared, not just against France but also against other European countries," he told RTL radio.
BE MENTALLY PREPARED
We have to be psychologically prepared that it could happen to us like this. We are in the middle of a region (where) the ISIS is active. You read the newspapers, you see what's happening in Malaysia, you see what's happening in Indonesia.
PM LEE, on dealing with terrorism
SEE TOP OF THE NEWS
Mr Valls' comments came as British Prime Minister David Cameron revealed that his security services had foiled around seven terror plots since June, adding that fighters returning from Syria were posing a growing threat.
The British government announced yesterday it would recruit an extra 1,900 security and intelligence staff to counter the threat of terrorist violence.
In Washington, Central Intelligence Agency director John Brennan also warned that the Paris attacks were likely not a "one-off event" and that he expected more ISIS operations in the pipeline.
Closer to home, in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysian Defence Minister Hishammuddin Hussein disclosed that several Malaysian leaders, including himself, had been put on an ISIS hit list since March.
Datuk Seri Hishammuddin said he was making the revelation now because the violence in Paris was a cause for concern.
REUTERS, AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE, BLOOMBERG