French Parliament to create commission to probe handling of terror attacks in 2015: MP

PARIS (AFP) - The French Parliament will create a commission to investigate the government's handling of last year's terror attacks, the parliamentary leader of the opposition Republicans party said on Tuesday (Jan 19).

The probe will examine "the resources put in place by the state to fight terrorism since January 7, 2015", Mr Christian Jacob told reporters.

That is the date of an attack on the Charlie Hebdo satirical weekly in Paris, which was followed two days later by a hostage drama at a Jewish supermarket. A total of 17 people were killed in three days in the coordinated attacks.

The rest of the year was marked by sporadic attacks and foiled plots in the name of the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS), culminating in the death of 130 people on Nov 13 as gunmen and suicide bombers attacked Parisian nightspots.

Four days after that attack Jacob called for the parliamentary enquiry "so that the French people will know the whole truth about the conditions in which these attacks could have happened".

The Republicans party has fiercely criticised the Socialist government's response to the attacks.

"Were all the lessons learned from the January attacks? The answer is no, too much time has been wasted," party leader and former president Nicolas Sarkozy said after the November bloodshed.