LONDON (Reuters) - A five-year-old boy was identified by police on Tuesday (June 27) as the youngest victim so far of the fire which engulfed a London tower block two weeks ago, killing at least 79 people.
Isaac Paulous was named as one of those who died after fire tore through the 24-storey Grenfell Tower block, trapping many inside their apartments.
"Isaac, our beloved son, was taken from us when he was only 5 years old," his family said in a statement. "We will all miss our kind, energetic, generous little boy. He was such a good boy who was loved by his friends and family. We will miss him forever, but we know God is looking after him now and that he is safe in heaven."
Police have so far identified about 20 of the 79 who are dead or missing and presumed dead, and have warned they might never know how many people died in the inferno.
The British government has faced mounting criticism for its response to the disaster, while police say they would consider criminal charges, including manslaughter, over the fire.
The officer in charge of the investigation has said exterior cladding on the building had failed all fire safety tests and on Monday (June 26), the government said 75 high-rise tower blocks in England with similar cladding had also failed tests.
US firm Arconic Inc said it was stopping global sales of its Reynobond PE cladding, which was used in Grenfell Tower, for use in high-rise buildings following the fire.