Terror in Europe

Barcelona attack: Families torn apart as van rams into crowd

KILLED: LUCA RUSSO, 25, ITALIAN Mr Russo, who had just started his first job, was on holiday with his girlfriend, Ms Marta Scomazzon, who suffered fractures. MISSING: JULIAN CADMAN, SEVEN, AUSTRALIAN Julian was separated from his injured mother durin
KILLED: JARED TUCKER, 43, AMERICAN Mr Tucker and his wife, Ms Heidi Nunes, were celebrating their first anniversary in the form of a belated honeymoon.PHOTO: FACEBOOK
KILLED: LUCA RUSSO, 25, ITALIAN Mr Russo, who had just started his first job, was on holiday with his girlfriend, Ms Marta Scomazzon, who suffered fractures. MISSING: JULIAN CADMAN, SEVEN, AUSTRALIAN Julian was separated from his injured mother durin
KILLED: LUCA RUSSO, 25, ITALIAN Mr Russo, who had just started his first job, was on holiday with his girlfriend, Ms Marta Scomazzon, who suffered fractures. PHOTO: FACEBOOK
KILLED: LUCA RUSSO, 25, ITALIAN Mr Russo, who had just started his first job, was on holiday with his girlfriend, Ms Marta Scomazzon, who suffered fractures. MISSING: JULIAN CADMAN, SEVEN, AUSTRALIAN Julian was separated from his injured mother durin
MISSING: JULIAN CADMAN, SEVEN, AUSTRALIAN Julian was separated from his injured mother during the attack and has been missing since, say relatives. PHOTO: FACEBOOK
KILLED: LUCA RUSSO, 25, ITALIAN Mr Russo, who had just started his first job, was on holiday with his girlfriend, Ms Marta Scomazzon, who suffered fractures. MISSING: JULIAN CADMAN, SEVEN, AUSTRALIAN Julian was separated from his injured mother durin
KILLED: IAN MOORE WILSON, CANADIAN Mr Wilson, a grandfather, was on holiday with his wife of 53 years. PHOTO: VANCOUVER POLICE

Spaniards, Italians, American and Canadian among Barcelona dead; Aussie boy missing

WASHINGTON • A 43-year-old American on a delayed honeymoon was among the 13 people killed when a van ploughed through a crowd in Barcelona.

Mr Jared Tucker and his wife had gone to the Spanish city to celebrate their first anniversary in the form of a belated honeymoon.

The couple were in the area of the famous Las Ramblas boulevard on Thursday when Mr Tucker went to look for a restroom and was struck down by the van, his wife, Ms Heidi Nunes, told KGO television in San Francisco, according to a Reuters report.

Speaking to NBC News about the chaos at the time, Ms Nunes, 40, said: "Next thing I know, there's screaming, yelling."

She tried to look for her husband but "got pushed inside the souvenir kiosk", where she stayed "while everybody kept running by, screaming", The Guardian reported.

Mr Tucker's father, Daniel, who worked with his son in the family's pool business, told the New York Daily News: "It's just something we really just don't understand. I don't know what else to say."

Among the 13 victims were also four Spaniards, two Italians, one Portuguese, one Belgian and one Canadian.

GRIEF-STRICKEN

We were walking together and then the van hit us. I fell and realised that Luca wasn't there any more. I didn't see him again. His body was swept away.

MS MARTA SCOMAZZON, whose boyfriend, Mr Luca Russo, was killed in the attack.

On Friday, the Canadian was identified as Mr Ian Moore Wilson, a grandfather who was on holiday with his wife of 53 years, The Guardian said.

His daughter, Fiona, in a statement on Friday, described him as "compassionate, generous, adventurous, and always game for a lively debate, a good book, exploring new places and a proper-sized pint".

In her statement, the Vancouver police officer also thanked bystanders and emergency workers who cared for her mother and tried to save her father's life, and those who had offered their sympathy and support.

One of the two Italian victims was 25-year-old Luca Russo, who graduated last year in engineering and had just started his first job, The Guardian said.

He was on holiday with his girlfriend, Ms Marta Scomazzon, who suffered fractures in the attack.

Ms Scomazzon, whose parents travelled to Barcelona to be with her, told the Italian news agency Ansa: "We were walking together and then the van hit us. I fell and realised that Luca wasn't there any more. I didn't see him again. His body was swept away."

Mr Russo's sister, Chiara, posted images on Facebook of her smiling brother, alongside those of his body lying on the ground in Barcelona. "Help to bring him home, I beg you,'' she wrote.

The other Italian, Mr Bruno Gulotta, 35, was one of the first victims to be identified. He was holding the hand of his five-year-old son but reportedly died when he tried to shield his family from the van.

His wife, Martina, who was carrying their one-year-old daughter in a sling-style baby-carrier, told friends that she had pulled their son to safety at the last moment, according to Italian media reports.

A manager at Tom's Hardware, where Mr Gulotta was marketing and sales manager, said of his colleague: "Anyone who met him was impressed by his kindness and professionalism."

Meanwhile, the family of an Australian boy, Julian Cadman, has gone on Facebook begging for his safe return after he was separated from his injured mother, who is in hospital in a serious but stable condition, The Telegraph reported.

An aunt of seven-year-old Julian said the family is desperate for news of their "sweet, bubbly" boy, who has been missing since the atrocity.

 
A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Sunday Times on August 20, 2017, with the headline 'Families torn apart as van rams into crowd'. Print Edition | Subscribe