Charlie Hebdo attacker sent text message to attacker of kosher supermarket before killings: Report

Policemen patrolling on Jan 21, 2015, in front of the Hyper Cacher kosher supermarket where gunman Amedy Coulibaly killed four people on Jan 9, 2015, in Paris. -- PHOTO: AFP 
Policemen patrolling on Jan 21, 2015, in front of the Hyper Cacher kosher supermarket where gunman Amedy Coulibaly killed four people on Jan 9, 2015, in Paris. -- PHOTO: AFP 

WASHINGTON - The terrorist attacks in France last month appeared to be coordinated as it was reported that one of the brothers who attacked satirical magazine Charlie Hebo had sent a text message to the man who later killed hostages at a kosher supermarket.

The attack on Charlie Hebdo on Jan 7 was also almost cancelled the day before because one of the attackers was sick, CNN reported, citing French newspaper Le Monde.

Cherif Kouachi sent a text message to Amedy Coulibaly at 10.19am on Jan 7, according to the Le Monde report. That is a little more than an hour before Cherif and his brother Said launched an attack on the Charlie Hebo office in Paris, killing 12 people and injuring 11.

The report, citing unnamed French investigative sources, said the communication showed that the Charlie Hebdo attack by the Kouachi brothers and the supermarket attack by Coulibaly were coordinated. This was something that Coulibaly purportedly admitted to a TV reporter before police shot him.

Coulibaly shot a policewoman to death in a Paris suburb on Jan 8 and then took hostages at a kosher supermarket in Paris a day after. He killed four people before being shot dead by police who raided the supermarket.

The Kouachi brothers staged a separate siege north of Paris after the attack on Charlie Hebdo office and were shot dead during a police raid.