British police release footage showing devastation inside London's Grenfell tower

The charred remains of a flat inside Grenfell Tower after the deadly fire on June 14, 2017. VIDEO: METROPOLITAN POLICE
Burned-out flats, blackened lifts and the charred remains of belongings were seen in footage released.
Burned-out flats, blackened lifts and the charred remains of belongings were seen in footage released. PHOTO: METROPOLITAN POLICE
Burned-out flats, blackened lifts and the charred remains of belongings were seen in footage released.
Burned-out flats, blackened lifts and the charred remains of belongings were seen in footage released. PHOTO: METROPOLITAN POLICE

LONDON - Burned-out flats, blackened lifts and the charred remains of belongings after the deadly Grenfell Tower fire were visible in photos and videos released by Britain's Metropolitan Police on Sunday (June 18).

The interior of the 24-storey tower block was gutted beyond recognition, with police commander Stuart Cundy referring to the conditions as "indescribable".

He warned that a full forensic and systematic search will take weeks to complete, adding: "We must also prepare people for the terrible reality that some people may not be identified due to the intensity of the fire."

So far, 58 people have been feared dead - a toll that authorities warn could rise ahead of new figures to be released on Monday.

Get The Straits Times
newsletters in your inbox

Cundy said efforts to trace missing people had led him to believe that the number could be higher.

"I must consider the fact that there may be others in the building who, for whatever reason have not been reported to us. There is also a real possibility that there may be people in the building that no one knows are missing," he added.

 

Public anger has been mounting over the British government's handling of the blaze, with Prime Minister Theresa May admitting that the response from authorities had not been good enough.

While Mrs May praised the emergency and health services for their heroism, she said support on the ground for families in the initial hours after the disaster was "not good enough".

She has since promised to set up a public inquiry and pledged £5 million (S$8.83 million) of support and housing guarantees. A minimum of £5,500 will be allocated to each household.

There was also an outpouring of generosity from the public with many people donating money, provisions and clothes.