Belgian police release video footage of third airport suspect

A CCTV grab of a suspect in the Zaventem airport attack in Brussels on March 22, 2016.
A CCTV grab of a suspect in the Zaventem airport attack in Brussels on March 22, 2016. PHOTO: BELGIAN FEDERAL POLICE

BRUSSELS (AFP) - Belgian police on Monday (March 28) released new video footage of the third suspect whose bomb failed to go off at Brussels airport in last week's attack.

The footage shows the man wearing a hat and white jacket pushing a trolley with a large bag through the departure hall, next to suicide bombers Ibrahim El Bakraoui and Najim Laachraoui.

"It's a new video which had not previously been released," a spokesman for the federal prosecutor's office told AFP.

A police notice issued with the video - still images from which have previously been released - said that officers "want to identify this man".

 

Prosecutors are still working on the theory that the so-called "man in the hat" is Faycal Cheffou, who has been charged with terrorist offences in relation to the airport attack, a source close to the inquiry told AFP.

Cheffou is, however, not cooperating with investigators, the source said.

Belgian officials earlier raised the toll from coordinated suicide attacks on Zaventem airport and a metro station in the centre of the city to 35.