Boston blasts: Boston bomb suspects planned to go to NY

NEW YORK (AFP) - The brothers suspected of carrying out the deadly attacks on the Boston marathon planned to head to Manhattan after the explosions, New York City police chief Ray Kelly said Wednesday.

Either Dzhokhar and Tamerlan Tsarnaev apparently said "Manhattan" in a conversation overheard by the driver of the vehicle they carjacked in Cambridge, Massachusetts last week before a showdown with police, Kelly said.

"They were speaking in either Chechen or Russian, a language the driver didn't understand. But he thought he heard the word 'Manhattan' in their conversation. It may have been words to the effect of coming to party in New York," Kelly told reporters.

Shortly after hearing the conversation, the driver was able to free himself from the brothers who later were tracked down by police, triggering a shootout in which Tamerlan, 26, was killed. Dzhokhar, 19, was captured late Friday.

The younger Tsarnaev has been charged with federal terror offenses including the use of a weapon of mass destruction in the twin blasts that killed three and wounded 264 people on April 15 at the Boston Marathon's finish line.

If convicted, the teen could face the death penalty.

At a memorial Wednesday for a campus police officer who was allegedly slain by the brothers after the bombings, US Vice President Joe Biden angrily called the two suspects "twisted, perverted, cowardly, knock-off jihadists."

"We have suffered. We are grieving. But we are not bending. We will not yield to fear. We will not hunker down. We will not be intimidated," Biden said in his eulogy for the officer, at a service attended by thousands.