Boston blasts: Australians shocked by bombings, says PM

CANBERRA - Australians are shocked by the tragic scenes in the United States, where three people were killed and more than 100 injured as two explosions tore through the Boston Marathon, says Prime Minister Julia Gillard.

Speaking at a press conference, Ms Gillard condemned the "brutal and senseless attack," according to China's Xinhua news agency.

"Australia unreservedly condemns the brutal and senseless attack on what is a great event known around the world, and one people participate in to have fun as their families and friends watch on," the news agency quoted Ms Gillard as saying.

In an earlier statement, Ms Gillard said Australians "condolences go to the families of those killed and our thoughts are with those who have been injured''.

She said there is no evidence showing any Australian has been injured in the marathon bombing.

Opposition Leader Tony Abbott said the thoughts of all Australians were with the people of Boston as they reeled from the bombing of the iconic running event, according to the report.

"The coalition joins with the government in expressing our shock and sorrow at this morning's terrible events," he said in a statement on Tuesday.

Xinhua also reported that there have been no reports of overseas Chinese being killed or injured in the Boston Marathon explosions.

Mr Cao Yue, a Chinese student in Boston, told Xinhua that two bombs exploded just 200 metres away from him and he saw smoke near the finish line. Another Chinese overseas student Zhu Junming said calm had been restored in the city of Boston, but the police blockaded several roads near the explosions.