Man, 72, rescued 13 days after deadly Ecuador earthquake

Rescue team members search for victims at the village of Manta, after an earthquake struck off Ecuador's Pacific coast, on April 21, 2016.
Rescue team members search for victims at the village of Manta, after an earthquake struck off Ecuador's Pacific coast, on April 21, 2016. PHOTO: REUTERS

QUITO (AFP) - Crews have rescued a 72-year-old survivor of Ecuador's deadly earthquake almost two weeks after it struck the South American country, Venezuela announced Saturday.

A visiting Venezuelan search team located Mr Manuel Vasquez, who had been trapped under rubble since the 7.8-magnitude quake that killed 660 people, the Venezuelan embassy in Quito said on its website.

They found Mr Vasquez "making sounds in a partially collapsed building" on Friday (April 29) in Manabi province while doing inspections for structural problems, it said.

The April 16 quake was the worst to strike Ecuador in decades, causing buildings to collapse and damaging roads and other infrastructure in tourist areas along the coast.

Mr Vasquez was admitted to hospital with kidney trouble and lost toes. He was also dehydrated and disoriented.

Ecuador welcomed hundreds of rescue teams, doctors, nurses, firefighters and other support staff after the quake from a slew of countries.

President Rafael Correa has announced a series of drastic economic measures aimed at paying for what he estimates will be the US$3 billion cost of rebuilding the shattered country.