WHO declares end of separate Ebola outbreak in Congo

The World Health Organisation (WHO) declared on Friday that an outbreak of Ebola in the Democratic Republic of Congo was over after no people showed symptoms for two incubation periods since the last case. -- PHOTO: REUTERS
The World Health Organisation (WHO) declared on Friday that an outbreak of Ebola in the Democratic Republic of Congo was over after no people showed symptoms for two incubation periods since the last case. -- PHOTO: REUTERS

GENEVA (Reuters) - The World Health Organisation (WHO) declared on Friday that an outbreak of Ebola in the Democratic Republic of Congo was over after no people showed symptoms for two incubation periods since the last case.

The outbreak was separate from the one spreading in West Africa.

There were 49 deaths out of 66 people infected in the remote northwestern Equateur province, authorities said last week.

Two maximum incubation periods of 21 days each must pass with no new cases being detected before the United Nations health agency can declare that an outbreak is finished.

“Having reached that 42-day mark, the Democratic Republic of Congo is now considered free of Ebola transmission,” the WHO said in a statement.

“WHO commends the Democratic Republic of Congo’s strong leadership and effective coordination of the response that included rapidly mobilising an expert response team to Jeera County, identifying and monitoring contacts and organising safe burials,” the WHO said.