While You Were Sleeping: 5 stories you might have missed, May 6 edition

Too soon to say if ISIS behind Texas attack: US

The White House said Tuesday it was too soon to tell if ISIS (Islamic State in Iraq and Syria) was behind an attack in Texas targeting an exhibit of caricatures of the Prophet Muhammad, despite claims by the extremists.

The ISIS group earlier claimed responsibility for Sunday's attack, in which two gunmen shot a security guard in a Dallas suburb before being killed by a police officer outside an event showcasing the cartoons, which many Muslims find offensive.

The case "is still under investigation by the FBI and other members of the intelligence community" to determine if the two assailants had any ties to ISIS, White House spokesman Josh Earnest told reporters. "So it's too early to say at this point."

Read more here

Rompin by-election: Barisan wins seat with reduced majority

Malaysia's ruling Barisan Nasional has won the Rompin by-election, albeit with a reduced majority. 

Based on official results from the Election Commission, Barisan defeated opposition Parti Islam SeMalaysia (PAS) with a majority of 8,895 votes. 

Barisan candidate Datuk Hasan Arifin garnered 23,796 votes while PAS’ Nazri Ahmad received 14,901 votes.    

Read more here

Prominent authors protest, boycott New York event honouring Charlie Hebdo

The French satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo, targeted in a deadly attack earlier this year by Islamist gunmen, will be honoured on Tuesday at a New York gala under heavy security, organisers said.

But at least six prominent authors said they have withdrawn from the event.

The award from the PEN American Centre comes two days after two gunmen opened fire at a Texas exhibit of caricatures of the Prophet Mohammed, depictions that Muslims consider offensive.

Read more here

Boxing: Fans sue Manny Pacquaio  for more than US$5 million over bum shoulder

Manny Pacquiao went into the richest match in boxing history without telling fans and gamblers he had a shoulder injury. Now, he has anotehr fight on his hands, according to Bloomberg News.

Two Nevada residents sued the boxer, his manager and a fight promoter for more than US$5 million (S$6.67 million) saying everyone who bought a ticket, paid as much as US$99.95 to watch it on television or bet on Pacquaio's bout with Floyd Mayweather was ripped off.

The two residents seek to represent all ticket and pay-per-view buyers and bettors.

Read more here

Modern Family TV star Sofia Vergara breaks silence over embryo custody battle

Television star Sofia Vergara has broken her silence about her legal battle with her ex-boyfriend over control of the frozen embryos the pair conceived while they were still a couple.

In an interview on Monday, the 42-year-old Modern Family star insisted she's "doing the right thing" in refusing to sign over custody of the embryos to businessman ex-boyfriend Nick Loeb.

Loeb, 39, signed an agreement with Vergara, America's top-earning TV star, in November 2013 before they proceeded with in vitro fertilisation, stating that nothing could be done with the embryos unless they both agreed.

Read more here