Disaster emergency in Micronesian state of Chuuk as super typhoon Maysak churns through

This satellite image on March 31, 2015 shows Super Typhoon Maysak tracking west-northwestward towards the Philippines. -- PHOTO: AFP 
This satellite image on March 31, 2015 shows Super Typhoon Maysak tracking west-northwestward towards the Philippines. -- PHOTO: AFP 

HAGATNA, Guam (AFP) - The main Micronesian state of Chuuk declared a "disaster emergency" as Super Typhoon Maysak continued to cut a destructive path across the central Pacific on Wednesday.

Chuuk governor Johnson Elimo confirmed at least one death and said there had been considerable damage to houses and crops when it took the brunt of the storm on Sunday night.

Maysak was on Wednesday battering the Yap group of islands in the Federated States of Micronesia (FSM) after smashing into Ulithi and Fais atolls, home to about 1,000 people, with sustained winds of 260 km per hour.

On Chuuk, "there is considerable destruction of residential buildings including a fatality from a fallen roof," Elimo said in a letter to FSM President Manny Mori in which he said he was "declaring a disaster emergency".

As Maysak churned its way across the FSM, Yap disaster coordination officer Raymond Igechep told Radio New Zealand that residents in Ulithi and Fais "have seen houses blown off their platforms".

Although the eye of the storm was skirting Yap, it was experiencing powerful winds with debris flung through the air.

"A tin roof (is) flying around outside," Igechep said.

Although Elimo reported only one fatality, local news media said five people were believed to have been killed when Maysak slammed into Chuuk.

"Maysak is forecast to remain a super typhoon during the next 36 hours," meteorologists in Guam, 1,000 km away, said in a bulletin on Wednesday morning for FSM.

"Seas will remain hazardous for another day or so. Do not attempt inter-island travel over the next few days."

Maysak, which comes on the heels of Cyclone Pam hitting the Pacific nation of Vanuatu over two weeks ago, causing widespread damage, was expected to weaken before it reached the Philippines at the weekend.

The Philippines is still recovering from Super Typhoon Haiyan which struck in November 2013, leaving more than 7,350 people dead or missing.