A woman in Toronto, Canada, posted a video online of her dog nearly being strangled to death after its leash got stuck in lift doors.
25-year-old Tamara Seibert, a Ryerson University student, spoke to the Toronto Sun about her harrowing experience, to warn others of the dangers of riding with leashed pets in lifts.
The March 2 incident happened in a flash, said Ms Seibert, as she and her 50kg rottweiler "Vado", together with another dog, entered the downriding lift at the 11th storey of her condominium.
The incident was captured by the lift's closed-circuit TV, which Ms Siebert obtained and posted on Facebook.
The chilling clip shows Vado flying to the ceiling of the lift, and Ms Seibert pressing the emergency buttons in desperation to stop the descent.
The dog's life is spared after the leash snaps, but Ms Seibert reportedly broke two fingers in her attempt to save her dog.
The incident is starkly similar to one which happened in Singapore in January, when a dog was killed after its leash got caught in an HDB lift door. The doors closed before the animal, which was on a leash, could get in.