2 Serbs abducted in Libya believed killed in US raid on ISIS

Serbian Foreign Minister Ivica Dacic said the embassy was expecting identification of the victims and could not confirm the information.
Serbian Foreign Minister Ivica Dacic said the embassy was expecting identification of the victims and could not confirm the information.PHOTO: REUTERS

BELGRADE (Reuters) - Two Serbian embassy staff members abducted in Libya in November are believed to have been killed in United States raids against a suspected Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS) training camp on Friday (Feb 19), Serbia's foreign minister said.

Mr Sladjana Stankovic, a communications officer, and Mr Jovica Stepic, a driver, were taken hostage on Nov 8 after their diplomatic convoy, including the ambassador, came under fire near the coastal city of Sabratha.

"We are expecting identification of the victims, so formally we cannot confirm the information," Minister Ivica Dacic told a press conference.

US warplanes launched air strikes against the suspected camp in western Libya on Friday, killing more than 40 people, probably including a militant connected to two deadly attacks last year in neighbouring Tunisia.