Tuesday, Jul 29, 2014Tuesday, Jul 29, 2014
TheBigStory
 

No attempt to shoot down North Korea rocket: Japan

Published on Dec 12, 2012 10:47 AM
 
A member of the Japan Self-Defence Forces runs toward a Patriot Advanced Capability-3 (PAC-3) missiles unit in Ishigaki on Japan's southern island of Ishigaki Island, Okinawa prefecture, in this photo taken by Kyodo Dec 12, 2012. -- PHOTO: REUTERS

TOKYO (AFP) - Japan did not try to shoot down a North Korean rocket as it passed over its southern island chain of Okinawa, the government said on Wednesday, strongly condemning the launch.

Tokyo confirmed the launch had taken place and that said it believed parts of the rocket had fallen into the sea off the Korean peninsula, with another part dropping into the ocean near the Philippines.

"Launch time was around 9.49am (8.49am Singapore time). The missile that North Korea calls a satellite passed over Okinawa around 10.01am. We launched no interception," a government statement said.

Japan had been on high alert since the 13-day lift-off window opened, despite a suggestion from Pyongyang that it could delay the much-criticised blast-off.

Tokyo deployed missile defence systems to intercept and destroy the rocket if it looked set to fall on its territory, with missile batteries in and around Tokyo and in the Okinawan archipelago.

Japan reacted quickly to the launch on Wednesday, with national media informed by government-run alert system.

"It is extremely regrettable that North Korea went through with the launch despite our calls to exercise restraint," chief government spokesman Osamu Fujimura said.

"Our country cannot tolerate this. We strongly protest to North Korea."

 

Videos