Little India Riot: 3 more suspects to be charged in court with rioting
Three more Indian nationals, arrested in connection with Sunday's riot in Little India, are due to appear in court to face rioting charges.
The police, in a statement released on Wednesday, said the three suspects were among the eight who were nabbed earlier on Tuesday morning in connection with the incident on Race Course Road.
"As for the remaining five subjects, one of them has been released on bail while further investigations revealed that the other four subjects were not involved in the incident," said a spokesman. "They have been released from police custody."
The three suspects and the 24 charged in court so far are all Indian nationals. Those produced in court on Tuesday are work permit holders aged between 22 and 40.
Lawyer Amarick Gill had told the court on Tuesday - on behalf of the Law Society - that the Criminal Legal Aid Scheme (CLAS) was available to the suspects. He added that the CLAS office was working with the Indian High Commission "on securing a number of lawyers to provide legal representation to all accused persons".
The police has since interviewed about 3,700 foreign workers from 10 dormitories across the island so far. Of these, 176 had their statements taken at the Criminal Investigation Department, including those who were subsequently arrested.