North Korea defiant over holding third nuclear test
SEOUL (AFP) - North Korea has vowed "high-profile measures" in the latest in a series of threats sparked by a tightening of UN sanctions, state media said on Sunday, suggesting it was determined to press ahead with a third nuclear test.
The warning by leader Kim Jong-Un came a day after Pyongyang said the planned test was a "demand of the people" following sanctions adopted last week in response to the North's defiant long-range rocket launch on December 12.
In a meeting with top security officials, Kim expressed the "firm resolution to take substantial and high-profile important state measures" in light of the "grave situation" of the peninsula, state TV said.
It did not elaborate on the measures, an apparent reference to its plans to conduct a nuclear test even as China and the US have sought to pressure Pyongyang into backing down.