Kids in Connecticut massacre to return to class on Jan 2
NEW YORK (AFP) - Children from the Connecticut elementary school where a deranged gunman killed 20 children and six staff last week will return to classes in an alternate facility only in the new year, officials said on Wednesday.
"We can confirm that the expected day for Chalk Hill to open will be January 2," said Kelly Donnelly, a spokeswoman for the Connecticut education department.
The Sandy Hook school house in Newtown, where the shootings took place last Friday, remains a crime scene as investigators piece together the events of the bloodbath, which ended when 20-year-old gunman Adam Lanza committed suicide.
The children will instead restart classes in a converted Chalk Hill Middle School in nearby Monroe. Local news reports said the building, which had been out of use, is being painted and decorated to resemble as exactly as possible the original Sandy Hook school.