UN Council condemns North Korea for rocket launch
UNITED NATIONS (AFP) - The UN Security Council, including China and the United States, on Wednesday condemned North Korea for carrying out a banned rocket launch and warned it could take further action.
"Members of the Security Council condemned this launch which is a clear violation of Security Council resolutions 1718 and 1874," said a statement by the 15-nation body after emergency consultations.
The council warned after a failed rocket launch in April that they could take "action" if the North Korean government made a new attempt. North Korea launched a rocket earlier on Wednesday which it said carried a satellite into space.
"Members of the Security Council recalled that in April, 2012 they demanded that the DPRK (North Korea) not to proceed with any further launch using ballistic missile technology, and also expressed the council's determination to take action accordingly in the event of a further DPRK launch," added the statement.