F1: Ecclestone expects 19 grands prix in 2013, no plans for Austria
LONDON (REUTERS) - Formula One looks likely to have 19 races next year despite organisers tweaking the calendar to create space for a 20th round in Europe, commercial supremo Bernie Ecclestone said on Wednesday.
Speaking to Austria's Kleine Zeitung newspaper, the 82-year-old Briton poured cold water on suggestions that the country's grand prix could be reinstated after a 10-year absence to take the vacant July 21 slot.
"Really? Who says that? Until now, I have not talked about this with anyone," Ecclestone said of speculation that a race could be held at Spielberg's revamped Red Bull-owned circuit, formerly known as the A1 Ring.
He said he had not spoken to Red Bull's billionaire owner Dietrich Mateschitz for some time and there had been no approach by the Austrian energy drinks company whose team have won the world title for the past three years.