The Straits Times
www.straitstimes.com
Published on Oct 28, 2012
 

Singaporean, friend die after their Johor house catches fire

 
 

JOHOR BARU, Malaysia (THE STAR/ASIA NEWS NETWORK) - A quarrelling duo suffocated to death when their apartment caught fire in the middle of an argument, trapping them inside.

Angielee Ambrose, 29 from Sabah and her friend Ang Lye Hock, 59, a Singaporean, were heard by neighbours having a heated argument at around 11.15 am this morning at their house in Taman Iskandar today. Minutes later, neighbours saw smoke coming from their apartment.

They managed to force the door open but huge flames prevented them from entering the premises to help the couple. Minutes later there was a small explosion, neighbour Bahruddin Saffri Ahsan said.

Fire and Rescue Department officials arrived in ten minutes with three fire engines which managed to put out the flames, operation head Raja Saiful Iswardi Raja Hassan said.