UN alarmed as new Myanmar unrest leaves 20 dead
YANGON (AFP) - A new wave of sectarian unrest in western Myanmar has left at least 20 dead, officials said on Thursday, sparking an exodus of "thousands" of people and prompting the UN to express its grave concern.
Hundreds of homes have been burnt in the fresh outburst of unrest in Rakhine state, which was convulsed by Buddhist-Muslim clashes in June that tore apart communities and left tens of thousands of mainly Muslim Rohingya languishing in basic camps.
More than 100 people have now been killed in the state, according to the authorities, which have imposed emergency rule in the face of continued explosive tension in the region.
Rakhine state spokesman Myo Thant told AFP that the latest violence had left "at least 20 people" dead so far, from both the ethnic Rakhine Buddhist and Muslim communities, clashes since October 21.