Top BBC editor steps aside during Savile probe
LONDON (AP) - A top BBC editor stepped aside on Monday while the BBC reviews its editorial decision to pull the plug on a segment about sexual abuse allegations against a prominent UK children's television star, the late Jimmy Savile.
The broadcaster said on Monday the editor of the Newsnight programme that opted not to broadcast the allegations, Mr Peter Rippon, is "stepping aside with immediate effect." The BBC says Mr Rippon's explanation of his decision in a blog post earlier was "inaccurate or incomplete in some respects". He is the first BBC figure directly blamed for the broadcaster's failure to properly report on abuse claims against Mr Savile, who died last year at the age of 84 after a long career in children's television.
The BBC is facing criticism for providing different explanations for pulling the December segment that would have lifted the veil on Mr Savile's abusive history, which had been rumoured but not reported on at the time.
Mr Savile hosted the music programme Top of the Pops and Jim'll Fix It. He was also active in numerous charities.