Netanyahu says doesn't know of any US-Iran talks
JERUSALEM (REUTERS) - Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said on Sunday he didn't know about any United States (US) plans to talk bilaterally with Iran, saying tougher sanctions and a "credible military option" were the best ways to peacefully halt Teheran's nuclear programme.
The White House had earlier denied a New York Times report that Washington and Teheran had agreed in principle to hold bilateral negotiations to halt what the West fears is a plan by the Islamic Republic to develop nuclear weapons.
Addressing reporters at a civil defence drill to rehearse for a possible earthquake, Mr Netanyahu accused Iran of having used talks with world powers in the past as a ruse "to drag its feet and to gain time to advance its nuclear weapons programme."
"Israel doesn't know about these contacts and I can't confirm that they actually have taken place," Mr Netanyahu said of the report about possible direct contacts between Washington and Teheran.