The Straits Times
www.straitstimes.com
Published on Oct 09, 2012
 

Man dies after live roach-eating contest in US

 
 

MIAMI (AP) – The winner of a roach-eating contest in South Florida died shortly after downing dozens of the live bugs as well as worms, authorities said on Monday.

About 30 contestants ate the insects during Friday night’s contest at Ben Siegel Reptile Store in Deerfield Beach about 64km north of Miami. The grand prize was a python.

Edward Archbold, 32, became ill shortly after the contest ended and collapsed in front of the store, according to a Broward Sheriff’s Office statement released on Monday. He was taken to the hospital where he was pronounced dead. Authorities were waiting for results of an autopsy to determine a cause of death.

“Unless the roaches were contaminated with some bacteria or other pathogens, I don’t think that cockroaches would be unsafe to eat,” said Michael Adams, professor of entomology at the University of California at Riverside, who added that he has never heard of someone dying after consuming roaches. “Some people do have allergies to roaches,” he said, “but there are no toxins in roaches or related insects.”