Wiggins prepares to 'shock' after probe is completed

LONDON • British cycling great Bradley Wiggins has promised he will have a "lot to say" and "shock a few people" when he finally comments on allegations that he may have broken anti-doping rules.

The five-time Olympic champion, who retired from cycling last year, said on Saturday that dealing with the allegations, which he has denied repeatedly, had been "horrible" and "the worst thing to be accused of when you're a man of my integrity".

The former Team Sky rider added he would have "a lot to say" when UK Anti-Doping (Ukad) finishes its investigation into allegations he was injected with triamcinolone, a powerful corticosteroid, at the end of the 2011 Criterium du Dauphine race.

Triamcinolone is a banned substance unless riders have a therapeutic use exemption - an official note allowing them to use otherwise prohibited drugs for the treatment of a legitimate medical condition.

Wiggins retired in November last year, some two months after his medical records were revealed by the Russia-based Fancy Bears computer hacking group. These showed that Wiggins was given permission to take triamcinolone before three major races in 2011, 2012 and 2013 but they did not show if he had authorisation to take it at the 2011 Criterium du Dauphine.

"It's been horrible, but fortunately there is an investigation going on," the 36-year-old told Soccer Saturday, a programme broadcast by satellite station Sky - the sponsors of his former team.

"(Since) there's an investigation and I obviously can't say too much because that will run its course and then I'll have my say. "

Team Sky, whose riders have won four of the last five editions of the Tour de France, have also been under severe scrutiny regarding their anti-doping procedures.

Former Team Sky medic Dr Richard Freeman has said he gave Wiggins the legal decongestant Fluimucil at the climax of the 2011 Criterium du Dauphine. However, Nicole Sapstead, the Ukad chief executive, told a committee of British lawmakers this month that there were "no records" to substantiate this assertion.

AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE

A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Straits Times on March 27, 2017, with the headline 'Wiggins prepares to 'shock' after probe is completed'. Print Edition | Subscribe