Tennis: Kyrgios hit with $34,700 fine and eight-week ban for erratic on-court conduct

Nick Kyrgios has been banned for eight tournament weeks and given a US$25,000 fine (S$34,700) for his conduct during his defeat at the Shanghai Masters.
Nick Kyrgios has been banned for eight tournament weeks and given a US$25,000 fine (S$34,700) for his conduct during his defeat at the Shanghai Masters.PHOTO: AFP

Reuters - Tennis bad boy Nick Kyrgios has been banned for eight tournament weeks for his conduct during his defeat at the Shanghai Masters last week, the Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP), the governing body for men's tennis, said on Monday.

"The suspension will be reduced to three tournament weeks upon agreement that the player enters a plan of care under the direction of a sports psychologist..." the ATP said in a statement.

Kyrgios has also been slapped with an additional US$25,000 fine (S$34,700) for "conduct contrary to the integrity of the game", it added.

The talented yet temperamental Australian was beaten 6-3, 6-1 by Mischa Zverev in a second-round match in which he put in a series of half-hearted serves and appeared to be walking off court before the unseeded German had returned the ball to him.

Kyrgios also clashed with a spectator before being booed off the court. He was fined $16,500 by the ATP on Thursday.

The 21-year-old released a statement on Monday apologising for his behaviour. "Following the ATP's decision today I would like to take this opportunity to apologise again for the circumstances in Shanghai," he said.

"I do understand and respect the decision by the ATP and I will use this time off to improve on and off the court. I am truly sorry and look forward to returning in 2017."