Murray out for the season with hip injury

LONDON • Andy Murray said yesterday he will miss the rest of the season because of his hip injury.

The world No. 2 has chosen more rest rather than surgery and indicated the complaint is not potentially career-ending.

"Unfortunately, I won't be able to compete in the upcoming events in Beijing and Shanghai, and most likely, the final two events to finish the season in Vienna and Paris due to my hip injury which has been bothering me the last few months," the 30-year-old Scot said.

"Having consulted with a number of leading hip specialists over the last week, along with my own team, we have decided that this is the best decision for my long-term future.

"Although this has been a frustrating year on court for many reasons, I'm confident after this extended period of rest and rehabilitation that I will be able to reach my best level again and be competing for Grand Slam titles next season.

"I will be beginning my 2018 season in Brisbane in preparation for the Australian Open."

He has not played since a five-set Wimbledon quarter-final loss to American Sam Querrey in July.

He suffered the injury in a five-set French Open semi-final loss to Swiss Stan Wawrinka in June.

His concern about the seriousness of the injury - the details of which he has not revealed - extended to further consultations with specialists last week.

He briefly returned to New York earlier this week, having earlier withdrawn from the US Open.


A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Straits Times on September 07, 2017, with the headline 'Murray out for the season with hip injury'. Print Edition | Subscribe