Sports World: Youth in Tour shooting incident surrenders

Youth in Tour shooting incident surrenders

PARIS • A 16-year-old youth handed himself to police yesterday, confessing to smashing through barriers on the Tour de France route in Paris, sparking gunshots from security services hours before the finish of the famed cycling race on Sunday.

Another person has also come forward, claiming to have been in the car when the incident took place. And a young woman, believed to have been in the car, checked herself into a hospital in the western Paris suburbs with bullet wounds to the chest.

Police are investigating the incident and believe there is no link to the Tour itself.


No 'turbulence' in Vidal's move to Bayern

BERLIN • Chile midfielder Arturo Vidal is poised to complete his switch from Juventus to Bayern Munich in the coming days after flying to Bavaria yesterday for a medical.

The 28-year-old footballer posted a picture of himself and agent Fernando Felicevich on Twitter on a plane with the caption: "A new stage.... a new dream... Munich here we come."


Allenby kidnapping unlikely, says caddie

SYDNEY • Australian golfer Robert Allenby was more likely too drunk and fell over in Hawaii and was not bashed and kidnapped as he claimed earlier this year, according to his caddie at the time.

Mick Middlemo, who parted ways with Allenby at the Canadian Open last week after an on-course argument, said his former boss ordered him to back up his claim of the mysterious night when Allenby ended up with black eyes and a grazed forehead.


Balestier post 2-0 victory in S-League

Balestier Khalsa beat Malaysian side Harimau Muda 2-0 in an S-League football match at the Toa Payoh Stadium last night.

Miroslav Kristic opened the scoring via a penalty in the 27th minute before Zulkiffli Hassim added another goal four minutes later.

Both teams lie in the middle of the 10-team table.

Cooper says sorry for foul tweet

SYDNEY • Australia rugby fly-half Quade Cooper has apologised for lashing out at media criticism with an expletive-riddled post on his Twitter feed.

The polarising playmaker was criticised on social media after being sin-binned during the Wallabies' 34-9 win over Argentina in Mendoza on Saturday and duly hit back.

He later followed up with an apology.


Longest-ever India tour for South Africa

JOHANNESBURG • South Africa's cricketers will play four Test matches in India for the first time as part of their longest-ever tour to the sub-continent later this year.

The Proteas will also play five one-day internationals and three Twenty20 matches between Oct 2 and Dec 7 in what has been described as a landmark tour by Cricket South Africa.


A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Straits Times on July 28, 2015, with the headline 'SportsWorld: Youth in Tour shooting incident surrenders'. Print Edition | Subscribe