Sports World: Touchline ban, $100k fine for Mourinho

Touchline ban, $100k fine for Mourinho

LONDON • Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho has been banned from the touchline for one match and fined a total of £58,000 (S$100,000) for two separate incidents of misconduct last month, the Football Association said on Wednesday.

The Portuguese admitted to using abusive and/or insulting language towards referee Mark Clattenburg during last weekend's Premier League match against Burnley and was fined £8,000 for the incident and banned from the touchline for one game.

Mourinho was also charged for comments he made about referee Anthony Taylor ahead of the Premier League game against Liverpool, and was fined a further £50,000.

REUTERS


Coetzee one ahead of Olesen after first day

ANTALYA • South African golfer George Coetzee claimed the first-round lead at the Turkish Airlines Open yesterday after firing a seven-under 64.

Denmark's Thorbjorn Olesen is a stroke behind in the €6.3 million (S$9.7 million) opening leg of the European Tour's three-event Final Series at the Regnum Cayla Resort course.


England to ignore Fifa ruling on symbols

LONDON • England's players will wear black armbands bearing the red poppy when they face Scotland in a World Cup qualifier on Remembrance Day, despite the threat of Fifa sanctions.

The English and Scottish football associations had been negotiating with the world governing body, which bans political, commercial and religious symbols on team outfits during matches.

AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE


Stroll, 18, takes over at Williams from Massa

LONDON • Canadian Lance Stroll, who turned 18 last week, will replace veteran Felipe Massa in Williams' driver line-up for the 2017 season, the British team announced yesterday.

Stroll, who does not yet have a driving licence, will line up alongside Finland's Valtteri Bottas. He will become the sport's youngest driver since Dutchman Max Verstappen made his debut aged 17 last year.

AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE


Chinese firm may pay $345m for Saints

LONDON • A Chinese company is holding talks with a view to buying Southampton for £200 million (S$345 million).

Katharina Liebherr, Southampton's Swiss owner, has secured a period of exclusivity for talks with Lander Sports Development, a company that recently incurred year-ending losses of almost US$50 million (S$69.3 million).

THE TIMES, LONDON


Carroll evades bike-riding robbers

LONDON • Andy Carroll fled armed robbers on motorcycles who pursued the "brave" West Ham striker for up to 20 minutes in a high-speed chase, manager Slaven Bilic said yesterday.

The England football international was targeted as he drove towards his home in Essex, east of London, on Wednesday, but sped off with his two assailants in pursuit and hastily returned to West Ham's Rush Green training ground before reporting the incident to police, who are investigating.

AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE

A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Straits Times on November 04, 2016, with the headline 'Sports World'. Print Edition | Subscribe