Sports world : S'pore Sevens back on next April 15-16

S'pore Sevens back on next April 15-16

Next year's HSBC Singapore Sevens will be held on April 15-16, World Rugby announced yesterday. It will be the second of a four-year deal to host the tournament at the National Stadium.

Kenya won this year's Singapore leg, its first Sevens title, in front of a record 27,370 crowd.


Thai cagers hammer S'pore 80-28

The Singapore men's basketball team was trounced 80-28 by a rampant Thailand team yesterday, in their third game of the fifth Seaba Stankovic Cup in Bangkok.

The Republic's cagers were completely dominated throughout, and shot a miserable 11 for 58 in field-goal attempts. They managed just three points and four points in the second and third quarters respectively.

This was their second loss of the five-team tournament - they beat bottom team Indonesia but fell to the Philippines.

They will play Causeway rivals Malaysia at 5pm today, in their final round- robin match before the third-place battle against the same opponents.


Indonesian leads SLGA event by 1 shot

Indonesian golfer Inez Beatrice Wanamarta fired an opening five-under 67 yesterday at the SLGA Amateur Open Championship.

She leads the 38-strong open field and is a stroke clear of Thai Onkanok Saisuwan at the Keppel Club. The three-day tournament ends tomorrow.

Singapore's Sarah Tan shot 76 and was the highest placed local at 12th.


Japanese panel to probe 2020 payouts

TOKYO • The Japanese Olympic Committee yesterday established a team to investigate whether any illegal payments were made during its successful bid for the Tokyo 2020 Olympics.

The media has reported that the bid team made payments totalling more than US$2 million (S$2.76 million) to a Singapore bank account linked to Papa Massata Diack, son of disgraced former international athletics chief Lamine Diack.

REUTERS


Nearly 100k security force for Euro 2016

PARIS • More than 90,000 police, soldiers and private security agents will be deployed across France to ensure safety for the Euro 2016 football tournament, Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve said yesterday.

The month-long tournament opens on June 10, with a state of emergency still in force after Islamist attacks last November that killed 130 people in Paris at several sites across the capital, including the Stade de France stadium.

REUTERS


Tyson blasts plan to let pros box in Rio

BEIJING • Former heavyweight champion Mike Tyson has branded the Amateur International Boxing Association's (Aiba) decision to let professional fighters take part in the 2016 Rio Olympics as "ridiculous" and "foolish".

Professional boxers would feature at the Olympic Games as long as a constitutional change went through in June, Aiba said earlier this year.

REUTERS

A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Straits Times on May 26, 2016, with the headline 'Sports world'. Print Edition | Subscribe