Sports World: Modric signs on with Real until 2020

Modric signs on with Real until 2020

MADRID • Croatian footballer Luka Modric has tied his long-term future to Real Madrid after he extended his contract with the European champions to 2020.

"Real Madrid C. F. and Luka Modric have reached an agreement to extend the player's contract with the club until 30 June 2020," the Spanish club said in a statement.

However, Modric will be sidelined for the rest of the month after undergoing knee surgery three weeks ago.


Wolfsburg sack coach after poor run

BERLIN • Wolfsburg parted ways with coach Dieter Hecking after their disappointing start to the Bundesliga season, the German football club said yesterday.

Hecking, who took over in late 2012 and led Wolfsburg to a second-place finish in the league and victory in the German Cup last year, has seen his team glean just six points this season. The 14th-placed team won only the first of their seven games and have lost three of their last four.


Ex-All Blacks' TUEs shield dope claims

PARIS • The French rugby authority (FFR) has cleared former All Blacks Dan Carter and Joe Rokocoko, as well as their Racing Metro team-mate Juan Imhoff of any doping wrongdoings after the French Championship final, the club said yesterday.

French newspaper L'Equipe reported earlier this month that tests conducted after the Top 14 final in June, showed the players had tested positive for corticoids, typically used to treat inflammation or joint pain. Carter and Rokocoko's agent, Simon Porter, had said that the duo had been granted Therapeutic Use Exemptions (TUEs) for the prescribed medication.


Lyon cry foul over Springbok's move

PARIS • French rugby club Lyon said on Monday they were taking legal action after South African international Franco Mostert moved to Japan despite a two-year deal with the promoted Top 14 side.

"Lyon Rugby notes with horror that Franco Mostert is in Japan and is training with the Ricoh Black Rams while he has committed to 2 years with our club. We will take all the necessary measures to see justice is done," the club said on their website.


Fina to review future HK aquatic events

HONG KONG • Hong Kong's harbour race is under review along with future open-water events globally after the death of a swimmer over the weekend, the world aquatics governing body said.

"Fina is very sad to hear of the unfortunate incident. We will be conducting a thorough review of the incident and the overall safety and organisation of future outdoor mass participation events," Fina said, adding it was working closely with race organiser the Hong Kong Amateur Swimming Association.

The man who died was said to be in his 40s.

A 59-year-old woman was also pulled out of the water unconscious and is in hospital in the intensive care unit.


A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Straits Times on October 19, 2016, with the headline 'Sports World'. Print Edition | Subscribe