Sports World: Guangzhou get first win, face elimination

Guangzhou get first win, face elimination

POHANG (South Korea) • Guangzhou Evergrande kept their stumbling AFC Champions League title defence alive with a deserved 2-0 win over Pohang Steelers yesterday - their first victory in Asia's premier football club competition this season.

Chinese international striker Gao Lin set up the first goal and scored the second as Luiz Felipe Scolari's side finally got a win at the fifth attempt in Group H.

But the well-heeled Chinese domestic champions are still relying on Sydney FC beating Japan's Urawa Red Diamonds today if they are to stay in the competition.

AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE

Novak, Serena achieve hat-trick of awards

BERLIN • Tennis world No. 1s Novak Djokovic and Serena Williams completed a clean sweep for tennis as they won the Laureus Sportsman and Sportswoman of the Year awards on Monday.

Both athletes picked up the top prize for the third time, with Williams having previously won it in 2003 and 2010 while Djokovic was also victorious in 2012 and 2015.

REUTERS

Masters winner Willett to play on PGA Tour

LOS ANGELES • Newly crowned Masters champion Danny Willett has joined the PGA Tour following his shock victory at the Augusta National Golf Club, it was announced on Monday.

The 28-year-old Englishman has been given a five-year exemption which allows him to play on the tour until the 2020-21 season, the PGA Tour said in a statement.

AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE

Leonard claims top defensive award again

NEW YORK • San Antonio Spurs forward Kawhi Leonard has been named the National Basketball Association Defensive Player of the Year for the second straight season.

Leonard, who helped the Spurs finish with the NBA's top defence this season, received 84 first-place votes and 547 total points from a panel of 130 sportswriters and broadcasters throughout the United States and Canada.

REUTERS

Lorenzo to ditch Yamaha next season

MADRID • Spain's triple world champion Jorge Lorenzo will leave Yamaha for Ducati after the 2016 MotoGP season in a move marking the end of a fractious pairing with Italian great Valentino Rossi.

Yamaha, who extended Rossi's deal to 2018 in March, said in a statement they would announce a replacement for Lorenzo in due course. Suzuki's Spaniard Maverick Vinales is seen as a front runner.

REUTERS

A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Straits Times on April 20, 2016, with the headline 'Sports World'. Print Edition | Subscribe