Sports World: Defender Dani Alves heading out of Barca

Defender Dani Alves heading out of Barca

BARCELONA • Brazilian right-back Dani Alves has told Barcelona he intends to leave the club after eight successful seasons, the Spanish champions confirmed yesterday.

Catalan Sports daily Sport claimed that Alves had already signed with Italian champions Juventus.

The 33-year-old international defender, who has won six La Liga titles and three Champions League crowns at the Nou Camp, is under contract with Barcelona until next June.

AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE


Benitez's No. 2 is new boss at Hellas Verona

LONDON • Rafael Benitez's bid to lead Newcastle United back to English football's Premier League has suffered a blow after his assistant was appointed the manager of Hellas Verona.

Fabio Pecchia will take charge of the Italian side, who finished bottom of the Italian Serie A last season. He had served alongside Benitez at Napoli, Real Madrid and Newcastle.

THE GUARDIAN


McIlroy's Zika concerns ease ahead of Rio Games

LONDON • World No. 3 Rory McIlroy has played down concerns that the Zika virus outbreak could threaten his participation at the Rio Olympics in golf's return to the Games after a 112-year absence.

The Northern Irishman had said last month that he would be monitoring the situation in Brazil and suggested the dangers of contracting Zika could affect his decision to play. But he said the advice he received had eased his fears.

REUTERS


Aussie Jones ready for whole bag of tricks

MELBOURNE • England rugby coach Eddie Jones' hopes of a seamless return to his home nation struck a speed bump yesterday when he was "shunted" into a queue to have his bags searched by customs officials on arrival at Brisbane airport.

The outspoken 56-year-old, who will guide England in a three-match series against World Cup finalists Australia, said he expected nothing less than for the locals to make life as tough as possible. Australia host England at Brisbane's Lang Park on June 11.

REUTERS


ICC chief backs Amir to tour England

LONDON • International Cricket Council (ICC) chief executive David Richardson expects Pakistan quick bowler Mohammad Amir to tour England next month, saying the former spot-fixer's return is a "good thing" for the sport.

Although now cleared to play again by the ICC, Amir's criminal conviction could see him denied an entry visa to Britain for Pakistan's tour of England.

AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE


Japan to host Asia's first America's Cup series

PARIS • Fukuoka in Japan will host yachting's America's Cup World Series on Nov 18-20, organisers announced yesterday.

It will be the first time that the world's oldest sporting trophy, dating back 165 years, will take place in Asia.

AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE


Singapore shuttlers lose in Indonesia

JAKARTA• Singapore shuttler Liang Xiaoyu's progress at the Indonesia Open was halted in the women's singles second round by seventh seed Sung Ji Hyun of South Korea yesterday as she lost 17-21, 19-21.

Team-mates Terry Hee and Tan Wei Han also fell in the round of 16 of the Premier Superseries event. They were beaten 21-6, 21-13 by the Chinese mixed doubles pairing of Lu Kai and Huang Yaqiong.

A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Straits Times on June 03, 2016, with the headline 'Sports World'. Print Edition | Subscribe