Olympics: Italians officially abandon Rome 2024 bid

The president of the Italian Olympic Committee, Giovanni Malago, speaks during a press conference on Oct 11, 2016 in Rome.
The president of the Italian Olympic Committee, Giovanni Malago, speaks during a press conference on Oct 11, 2016 in Rome. PHOTO: AFP

Rome (AFP) - Italian Olympic Committee president Giovanni Malago put a definitive end on Tuesday to Rome's bid to host the 2024 Olympic Games after the city's newly elected mayor refused to support the project.

"I wrote to the International Olympic Committee today to withdraw Rome 2024 from the running," Malago told a specially convened press conference.

Rome's ill-fated bid to host the Games was effectively killed off last month when the city council voted in favour of the new mayor's request to withdraw support.

Nearly two thirds of councillors backed mayor Virginia Raggi's position that the cash-strapped city needs to sort out its own problems before it is in a position to host the Games.

Italy's Olympic committee had already accepted that the bid was dead in the water and has said a new attempt to get the Games was unlikely for at least 20 years.