Fitness

Hot Bods

Text and pictures by Wang Hui Fen

Charles Ng, 40 Entrepreneur

Height: 1.73m Weight: 62kg
 

Exercise regimen: I do resistance (weight) training three times a week, covering every muscle group from legs to shoulders, chest, back, arms and core. I also do cardiovascular training twice a week - a mixture of brisk walking, speed running and swimming.

Diet: I practice a 90/10 rule of eating whole foods 90 per cent of the time and "informed" food choices for the other 10 per cent. I prefer a well-balanced diet which does not contain fried or processed food or a high amount of added sugar. Growing up, I used to enjoy junk and packaged foods from convenience stores. Foods that I eat on a regular basis are chicken, fish, vegetables, beans, legumes, nuts, seeds and carbohydrates (multi-grains, white rice and sweet potato). One practice that I adopt when having food that is less beneficial is to exercise portion control and share it with my family and friends.

 

Twang Aiyun, 28 Maths teacher

Height: 1.55m Weight: 48kg

Exercise regimen: I go to the gym three times a week, following Kayla Itsines' guides - resistance workouts and plyometrics. I also do low-intensity workouts, attend yoga classes and swim occasionally.

Diet: I generally avoid white carbohydrates and processed food. My family prepares brown rice mixed with white rice and light Chinese soups. When eating out, my go-tos are yong tau foo, sushi or salad bowls with plenty of whole grains, tofu and vegetables. My family and colleagues don't know that I can't resist sour cream-flavoured chips and cherry Coke.

 
 
 
A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Sunday Times on June 04, 2017, with the headline 'HotBods'. Print Edition | Subscribe