LOS ANGELES • Tiger Woods posted a video of himself swinging a golf club on Wednesday in an effort to shoot down recent reports that suggested he had endured setbacks in his recovery from back operations.
In a 13-second video posted on his Twitter account, he is seen hitting a nine-iron to the green on a 153-yard par-three hole on an indoor golf simulator, seemingly without discomfort.
"Progressing nicely," the 14-time Major champion, who has not competed since last August, wrote in the tweet.
Some reports over the weekend suggested the former world No. 1 suffered a setback in his recovery from a third back operation and that he was unable to sit without pain and had difficulty walking.
But Woods' agent said earlier this week that the reports of the golfer being incapacitated were false and an update on his client's health would be made at the appropriate time.
Woods, who made 11 starts on the PGA Tour last season and just seven the season before, had his first back surgery in early 2014. A second microdisectomy was performed last September with a follow-up procedure six weeks later.
The greatest player of his generation, the 40-year-old has not won a tournament since 2013 and last won a Major in 2008.
The world No. 445 has not set a timetable for his return to the PGA Tour, but US Ryder Cup captain Davis Love believes Woods could still make the team to play Europe in September.
"If he can play 10 or 12 tournaments in a row, I think he can get his game back and make our team," Love said of one of his vice-captains at Hazeltine in an interview with the BBC.