Pullout not due to money, Aussies insist

Day, Scott blast critics over Rio withdrawals and say Games chief's purse theory is wrong

MELBOURNE • World No. 1 Jason Day has hit back at critics of the golfers who have elected to skip the Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro next month.

The sport's return after 112 years has been soured by the withdrawals of a number of top men's players, many of whom have cited health concerns due to the outbreak of the Zika virus in Brazil.

Games chief Carlos Nuzman told a media event in Rio over the weekend that top players had "tried to blame Zika, but the media have shown that they are not coming because there's no prize money".

International Golf Federation president Peter Dawson also said there had been an "over-reaction" to the threat of Zika, a mosquito-borne virus that can cause potentially severe birth defects in babies whose mothers were infected during pregnancy.

Day, who withdrew last month and cited Zika as his main concern, hit back at suggestions that the lack of prize money was behind the withdrawals.

PLAIN BAD TIMING

You go down there (Rio) to win a gold medal...

Unfortunately, if it was Tokyo this year, I'd be there in a heartbeat. I wouldn't worry about it. It's unfortunate.

JASON DAY, world No. 1 golfer, insisting that he withdrew because of the Zika virus and not because of the absence of prize money.

"I mean, we've got enough money, you know what I mean," he said after signing off from the British Open at Royal Troon.

"And I don't mean to make that sound in a bad way. It's not like we're chasing it because of that.

"We play the Presidents Cup, there's no prize money. You go down there (Rio) to win a gold medal. That's probably one of the biggest honours you could get as a sporting athlete.

"Unfortunately, if it was Tokyo this year, I'd be there in a heartbeat. I wouldn't worry about it. It's unfortunate."

Day's compatriot, world No. 8 Adam Scott, was among the first to opt out, way back in April, but put it down to a packed schedule and his lack of interest in playing another 72-hole individual strokeplay tournament.

He said Nuzman's assertion was "not accurate".

"I don't know where he would get that idea. That's just assumptions and I think they've made a lot - and obviously that's dangerous.

"I mean, I made my decision based on my priorities and where my life's at at the moment."

The flood of withdrawals, which have included the world's top four players and a number of other Major winners, has fanned fears that golf's return to the Olympics may be a brief one.

The sport is confirmed for the 2020 Tokyo Games but its future participation will be subject to an International Olympic Committee vote.

Meanwhile, Asia's biggest golf Tour has formed a "strategic alliance" with Europe that will allow both to work together to develop the sport in Asia, the two bodies announced yesterday.

But while the alliance hopes to expand playing opportunities for members, the Asian Tour and the European Tour will retain their separate identities in terms of brand and logo, and will be be managed by their own boards, a joint statement said.

"The formalisation of the partnership will see the two Tours now work together to develop professional golf in Asia - from a new joint office in Singapore," it said.

REUTERS, AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE

A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Straits Times on July 19, 2016, with the headline 'Pullout not due to money, Aussies insist'. Print Edition | Subscribe