Golf: Tiger Woods won't play again until his game is up to standards

Former golf world No. 1 Tiger Woods said on Wednesday that his game is not up to PGA Tour standards and he will not compete again until it is. -- PHOTO: AFP
Former golf world No. 1 Tiger Woods said on Wednesday that his game is not up to PGA Tour standards and he will not compete again until it is. -- PHOTO: AFP

LOS ANGELES (AFP) - Former golf world No. 1 Tiger Woods said on Wednesday that his game is not up to PGA Tour standards and he will not compete again until it is.

In a statement posted on his website, Woods said the last fortnight - which included a career-worst 82 at the Phoenix Open and a mid-round withdrawal at Torrey Pines - had been "very disappointing."

He said the back pain that forced him to pull out after 11 holes of the first round at Torrey Pines wasn't related to the surgery he had last year, and that with daily physical therapy he was improving. But he doesn't know when he'll tee it up again in a tournament.

"Right now, I need a lot of work on my game and to still spend time with the people that are important to me," he said. "My play, and scores, are not acceptable for tournament golf. Like I've said, I enter a tournament to compete at the highest level, and when I think I'm ready, I'll be back."

Woods, 39, said he still hoped to play the Honda Classic in Florida, which starts on Feb 26. "But I won't be there unless my game is tournament-ready," he said. "That's not fair to anyone. I do, however, expect to be playing again very soon."